Saturday, April 23, 2011

Low-Calorie Meals & Snacks I'm Currently Obsessed With

1). First, we have one of my favorites: Protein Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal!!! This stuff is so amazing. It is healthy, has protein, is low-cal, and super fast and easy to put together. To make: put 1/2-3/4 cup instant oatmeal in a bowl with adequate water according to oatmeal container. Microwave the oatmeal, then add 2-3 spoonfuls of canned pumpkin, a splash of almond milk, 1/2-1 scoop of protein powder, a bit of brown sugar (or sweetener of choice), and some cinnamon. Stir all the ingredients together and enjoy!

2). Next, we have an iced coffee treat. I often need a mid-afternoon pick-me-up, and am frequently craving something sweet. This iced coffee will wake you up, without the huge calorie content that most iced coffee drinks have. I brew some regular coffee, add some almond milk & sugar-free vanilla syrup (Torani brand), and then add some ice.

3). Now, if I'm craving something like chips or popcorn, I often turn to baby carrots. I can eat a ton without the guilt I would normally get from eating a whole bunch of potato chips. If baby carrots lack enough flavor for you, try adding some sea salt on top or dipping in a bit of hummus.

4). An egg white omelet is a super healthy and filling way to start your day! If I wake up pretty hungry, I usually make an egg white omelet with a piece of wheat toast on the side. I'll chop up some vegetables such as peppers, onions, mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini, and spinach and cook those for a little bit in a pan. Then, I add in some egg whites from a carton and finish up my dish with a little feta cheese or a bit of ketchup on top for added flavor! 

5). Finally, I like to make a good vegetable stir fry on days where I feel like I have indulged a little too much the day before. I cook up broccoli, carrots, peppers, bean sprouts, snap peas, onions, and mushrooms with some soy sauce, garlic, and a dash of lime juice. It is so good! If I feel like just vegetables won't fill me up, I'll add in some shrimp and a small portion of brown rice.



2 comments:

  1. Hi ran across your blog on another blog. I to just started a blog about health and fitness. Your coffee recipe looks yummy I am so going to try it. I love oatmeal I start every morning with my own oatmeal protein mix. Happy blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is a protein mix??

    ReplyDelete