Sunday, April 17, 2011

My Favorite Ab Exercises

Abs are definitely my favorite muscle group to work out. I am always on an endless search for the best and most effective moves to give me that signature burn in my midsection. I have compiled a list of my favorite exercises to get you that trim tummy you've always dreamed of!

1). Here is the Arm Pull Over Straight-Leg Crunch. I love this move. It is a great lower ab toner. I do this move with an 8 lb. weight, 20 reps, 2-3 sets.

2). Next, we have the Bicycle Crunch. This is a classic move which is regarded my many experts as being one of the most effective exercises to work you entire core. I usually do 50 reps, 2-3 sets.

3). This is called the Prone Oblique Roll. I must say, this move is hard because it involves you engaging your entire core in order to keep you balanced and prevent you from falling off the ball. Boy does it work though! I tend to do 20 reps, 3 sets.

4). The Back Rollout is another good move to feel the burn in your lower abs. When I first started trying this move out in the gym, I would get so sore the next day! I have since had to increase the number of reps in order to feel the burn again. I currently have been doing 25 reps, 3 sets. The more horizontal your body gets with the ground, the greater the burn! Also, make sure to really pull your abs in when rolling out to avoid lower back strain. 
5). Finally, we have the Plank. The dreaded Plank! This is probably my least favorite (and most effective) ab move. Don't you love how the moves you hate the most, work the best? I try and do this at the beginning of my abs circuit so that I'm not too tired to get it done at the end. I usually hold the Plank for 60 seconds, 2-3 times. I am trying to work up to 90 seconds, but it is proving to be quite difficult!
-leila



1 comment:

  1. As I was reading I was hoping you were going to post the plank. It is my favorite abs exercise and definitely works my entire core.

    ReplyDelete