Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Work in Progress...

One of my main fitness downfalls is expecting too much, too fast. I want to see results way sooner than physically possible. After an exceptionally grueling workout, I tend to get a little disappointed when I wake up the next morning and don't see a new muscle popping out. Don't worry, I'm aware of how ridiculous this is! The point is, I am constantly having to remind myself that Rome wasn't built in a day, and my ideal body won't be either. 

Lately, I have been trying to follow the age old rule of decreasing my caloric intake by 500 calories per day through diet or exercise. According to this rule of thumb, a 500 calorie a day deficit will equate to 3,500 calories a week, which equals one pound of fat. Since I know all of this, I figure I should be losing one pound a week. Not always the case. In fact, I actually gained a pound this week. Normally this kind of thing would completely discourage me. I would think: I did everything right, I ate properly, I worked out, why didn't I lose that damn pound?! That mentality has led to me constantly having to remind myself that I am a work in progress, and that most likely my fitness goals will be reached in 6 months rather than 6 days.
-leila

No comments:

Post a Comment